UNITED GROUP OF COMPANIES PRIVACY STATEMENT
Protecting your Privacy
The United Group of Companies wants to provide you with great customer service and this includes protecting your privacy. The United Group of Companies is bound by the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, which sets out a number of principles concerning the protection of your personal information.
This document explains our commitment to privacy.
United Group of Companies provides a range of products and services to customers either directly or through our authorised dealers.
Your Personal Information
Personal information held by United Group of Companies may include your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, phone and mobile numbers, email address, bank account or credit card details, occupation, drivers licence number, and your United Group of Companies PIN, username or password. We also hold details of the products and services you have purchased from us, and your customer status.
If you choose not to provide us with certain information we may not be able to provide you with the products and services you require, or give you the level of service you expect.
Occasionally you may need to provide personal information about other individuals to United Group of Companies, for example about your authorised representative. If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to us.
How we collect Personal Information
United Group of Companies collects personal information in a number of ways including:
- Directly from you, when you provide information by phone or in application forms, or when you submit your personal details to us through our web site
- From third parties such as our dealers and related companies, credit reporting agencies, or your representatives
- From public sources of information
- From organisations identified below under ‘when we disclose your personal information’
- When legally required to do so
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- Assist you purchase our products and services
- Provide you with products and services you require
- Administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts
- Inform you of ways the services provided to you can be improved
- Conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud
- Research and develop our services
- Gain an understanding of your needs in order for us to provide you with a better service
- Maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure
Also your personal information is collected so that United Group of Companies can keep you informed of our products, services and special offers. Call (03) 9640 0221 if you don’t want us to promote and market our products and services to you. Emailed promotional material is provided on an opt-in basis only, and you can indicate your preference by writing to us.
When do we disclose your personal information
In order to deliver the products and services you require, United Group of Companies may disclose your personal information to outside organisations. Your personal information is disclosed to these organisations only in relation to United Group of Companies providing our services to you.
These organisations may carry out our:
- Customer enquiries
- Mailing operations
- Billing and debt-recovery functions
- Information technology services
- Marketing, telemarketing and door-knocking services
- Market research
- Web site usage analysis
United Group of Companies takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
In addition we may disclose your personal information to:
- Your authorised representatives or your legal advisers (subject to your permission)
- Credit reporting and fraud checking agencies
- Credit providers re credit worthiness, credit rating, credit provision and financing
- Our dealers and related companies
- Our professional advisers including accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations as required or authorised by law
- Organisations who manage our business and corporate strategies, including those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions
United Group of Companies web site
United Group of Companies provides products and services through its web site. When you visit our web site our web server records anonymous information such as the time, date, and URL of the request. This information assists us to improve the structure of our web site and monitor its performance.
United Group of Companies may use ‘cookies’ on its web site. These are small text files commonly used by Web sites and are placed on your computer so that our web server can remember your preferences. In some cases cookies may collect and store personal information about you. United Group of Companies extends the same privacy protection to your personal information whether gathered via cookies or from other sources. You can adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used, however if you disable cookies you may not be able to access certain areas of our web site.
Accuracy of Information
United Group of Companies takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, and up to date. However this accuracy relies to a large extent on the information you provide us. Please let us know if there are any errors in your personal information and keep us up to date with any changes such as your name and address.
Access to Information
You have a right to access your personal information subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to access your personal information at United Group of Companies please write to us at PO Box 13238 Melbourne 8010. United Group of Companies may charge for retrieval of your information under some circumstances.
If you have any queries in relation to privacy please contact us on (03) 9413 1400 between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday, or write to us at the aforementioned address.